Teacher of the Danish Folkeskole (Primary and Lower Secondary School Teacher)
If you wish to work as a teacher of the Danish Folkeskole (Primary and Lower Secondary School Teacher) in a permanent position, you will need professional recognition from the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education.
How to apply?
Please use the application form and upload link under "Direct access to application" if you are a citizen of an EU country, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland – or you have residence permit in Denmark under the Directive 2004/38/EC – and you are fully qualified to practise the same teaching profession in one those countries.
All other citizens are to use the application form under "Requirements for non-EU citizens and business".
You must enclose the following documents with the application form:
- Proof of nationality: passport, ID card etc.
- Certificate/letter of authorisation or other documentation by which you are entitled to work as a teacher (only applies to countries where such certificates etc. are issued)
- Diploma(s)/certificate(s): Evidence of your teaching qualification(s)
- Transcript, mark sheet or similar list of subjects passed, for each qualification that you want to have assessed
- Translation(s) of the diploma(s)/certificate(s) and transcripts mentioned if they are not in English, German, French, Spanish, Swedish or Norwegian
- Evidence of professional experience if you have worked as a teacher, in or outside Denmark, if any
- Documentation of change of name, if relevant
Direct access to application
Temporary or occasional pursuit
Direct free access. There are no requirements for professional recognition to work temporarily and occasionally as a Teacher of the Danish Folkeskole (Primary and Lower Secondary School Teacher).
Requirements for non EU citizens and businesses
Citizens from countries outside EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland have to use this application form.
No fee required.
When can I expect an answer?
You are entitled to a decision within 3 months of submitting all required documentation. If problems are encountered in processing the file, you are entitled to receive a decision no later than 4 months from the date your complete file has been submitted.
In case of rejection
If the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education decides to reject your application for professional recognition, you will receive a letter explaining the reasons for the decision.
You cannot appeal to any other administrative authority, but you can send a letter or mail to the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education giving the reasons why you disagree with the decision.
Who to contact for questions?
Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education
DK – 1260 Copenhagen K
Tel.: +45 7231 8700
Public registers and databases
Legal basis in Danish law
Legal basis in EU directive(s) on the mutual recognition of professional qualifications
2005/36/EC, Title III, Chapter I (General system for the recognition of evidence of training)