Team Leader in the Emergency Service/Fire Brigade

If you wish to work as a Team Leader in the Emergency Service/Fire Brigade in Denmark, you must have your professional qualifications recognized by the Danish Emergency Management Agency

How to apply?

There is no application or declaration form. Instead, write a letter or an e-mail stating your profession and explain whether you wish to have your professional qualifications recognized for the purpose of a) free provision of services, or b) establishment. You should enclose the documents mentioned below under (free provision of services) or (establishment)

Temporary or occasional pursuit

Free provision of services:

Before you start to provide services, you are to inform the Danish Emergency Management Agency in a written declaration. The Danish Emergency Management Agency will check your professional qualifications before you can start providing services.

You are required to renew your declaration if you intend to provide temporary or occasional services in Denmark during the following year. Please include the following documents with your first declaration:
Contact information:

  • First name and family name, address, phone and e-mail
  • Ordinary photocopy of proof of nationality (for example, a photocopy of relevant pages of your passport)
  • Attestation that you are legally established to practice the occupation in a Member State and that you are not prohibited, even temporarily, from practicing at the time at the time of the attestation (the documents that may be provided by Member States of establishment are listed in Annex B of the Code of Conduct) or another document that proves your legal establishment.
  • Certified photocopies of your professional qualification documents (evidence of formal qualifications, an attestation of competence and/or professional experience, authorization etc.)
  • If neither the profession nor the training is regulated in your Member State of establishment: Proof that you have practiced the profession for at least two years in the last ten, in the country of establishment (for example working contracts and attestations from previous employers stating the professional activity and its duration)
  • Information about your education, including, for example, the total duration of the education, the subjects studied and in which proportion (e.g. in ECTS points), the balance between the theoretical and the practical part where appropriate, as well as information on any professional experience, continuous professional development, seminars and all forms of training attended in addition to the initial training (such information may enable you to avoid a compensatory measure). If the competent authority has any doubts or questions concerning the documents mentioned here and provided by you, it must raise the issue with its counterpart in your home Member State using administrative cooperation.
  • Information regarding the name of the insurance company, if any, and the contract number, or other means of collective protection with regard to professional liability

Establishing a business

If you want to establish yourself or work on a permanent basis in Denmark you need to apply for recognition of your professional qualifications. Please include the following documents with your application:

  • Proof of nationality, for example, a copy of identity card or passport
  • Certificates, diplomas etc. relevant to your profession
  • Information on the total duration of the studies and the subjects studied, specifying the time allocated to each subject (e.g. hours, weeks or ECTS points), and where appropriate the balance between the theoretical part and the practical part
  • Proof of your professional experience, e.g. pay slips or attestations from employers identifying the professional activity and its duration (if any)
  • Any further documentation/further information that you think may influence the assessment of your professional and educational qualifications, or other relevant information that you wish to submit, e.g. Curriculum Vitae
  • Your contact information: first name and family name, address, phone and e-mail, if any. If somebody else is sending the documents, e.g. a company sending documents on your behalf: The sender's name, address, phone and e-mail, if any.

Requirements for non EU citizens and businesses

The same requirements apply as for EU citizens and businesses.


No fee required.

When can I expect an answer?

The decision will be made as soon as possible after all necessary documents have been received. Normally you can expect to get an answer from The Danish Emergency Management Agency within four weeks

In case of rejection

If The Danish Emergency Management Agency decides to reject your application, you will receive a reasoned notification. If you disagree with the decision, you have the right to appeal.
The appeal should be submitted in writing by e-mail, letter or fax to the Danish Ministry of Defence, Holmens Kanal 42, 1060 København K.

Who to contact for questions?

If you have questions regarding your application/declaration or questions regarding the requirements please contact
The Danish Emergency Management Agency
Datavej 16
DK – 3460 Birkerød
Tel.: +45 45 90 60 00

Public registers and databases

If you wish more information about the sector, these private organizations could be relevant for you:

Centralforeningen for Stampersonel

Det Offentlige Beredskabs Landsforbund

3F – Fagligt Fælles Forbund

Forbundet af Offentligt Ansatte

Foreningen af Kommunale Brandvæsener

Legal basis in Danish law

The Emergency Management Act (Consolidation Act no. 660 of June 10, 2009 as amended by act no. 514 of May 26, 2014 and act no. 314 of April 3, 2017).
Ministerial Order on Personnel in the Fire and Rescue Services (Order no. 41 of January 21, 1998, as amended by Order no. 49 of January 27, 2006, Order no. 192 of March 18, 2008, Order no. 1395 of December 10, 2010, Order no. 331 of March 30, 2012, Order no. 154 of February 12, 2013, Order no. 1481 of December 19, 2014 and Order no. 1843 of December 18, 2015).

Legal basis in EU directive(s) on the mutual recognition of professional qualifications

2005/36/EC, Title II (free provision of services)
2005/36/EC, Title III, chapter I (establishment)